I’ve gone through just about every Su-Man skincare item from their line at this point. All of her items are good. They’re simple and use some interesting ingredients. The line is calming and can be used on most skin types, it’s never harsh. Next up to talk about is the Velvet Skin Brightening Serum. Details per Su-Man:
This stunningly innovative essence, described by Elle as “liquid rose- petals’, delivers a heavenly boost of radiance, comfort and velvet softness. The signature potent blend of antioxidants, hyaluronic and traexamic acids, omegas, ceramides and dragon’s blood extract invigorates the skin, helping diminish the appearance of dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles. Experience the essential anti-aging elixir for a firmer, brighter complexion that looks and feels instantly re-born.
- Instantly brightens and softens skin
- Diminishes the appearance of fine lines
- Promotes a firmer-looking complexion
- Reinforces the skin’s natural barrier
- For all skin types
Su-Man has sourced some of the most powerful active ingredients from the Asian and Western worlds in the formulation of her products. Combining a deep knowledge of natural essences from her original homemade remedies with innovative new advances from her chemists in France and Taiwan, Su-Man’s range gives you the very best in facial expertise, skin wisdom and science for skin that looks and feels reborn.
- Hyaluronic acid, or HA, is the body’s own hydrating molecule. It holds up to 1000 times its own weight in water and is responsible for keeping skin smooth and supple, although our production of it decreases with age. Ultra-hydrating HA helps to replenish lost moisture, smooth wrinkles and regain skin firmness.
- Tranexamic acid is a synthetic derivative of the amino acid lysine. Originally developed for medical use, its anti-inflammatory and lightening properties were soon recognised as beneficial to cosmetics. It is effective in evening and brightening the skin tone by reducing pigmentation, age spots, acne scars and marks caused by sun exposure.
- Rosehip seed oil is extracted from the fruits of rose plants such as the musk, dog and sweet briar varieties. Used by the Andean Quechua people as a health and skin remedy for centuries, it has regenerative and anti-ageing properties. A dry oil rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids, it promotes skin repair and smoothens wrinkles, without any greasy residue.
- Dragon’s blood is a bright red resin extracted from the Croton lechleri or Sangre de Drago tree native to the Amazon rainforest. The sticky sap has powerful protective, regenerative and anti-ageing properties, and has been used by indigenous peoples as a healing skin treatment for centuries. Forming a ‘second skin’ barrier, it helps to repair and reconstruct collagen, improves the integrity of the skins natural barrier whilst restoring firmness and elasticity to the skin.
This is a bi-phase serum. It has a thicker gel and a thin red serum you shake vigorously then apply. You can see the double layers above, then they are shaken together below. The serum has a thicker liquid jelly serum texture. It’s hydrating and feels like a hyaluronic acid serum with more benefits.
Below you can see the thinner serum texture separating from the thicker hyaluronic acid.
The Velvet Skin Brightening Serum comes in a glass bottle with a dropper for dispensing. You get 30 ml for about $115 depending on where you buy it. This is a UK brand so you have to get it overseas. It’s a hydrating serum. It makes my skin feel soft. This helps with improving skin texture and moisture levels.
I felt like this was too gentle to be a full on brightening powerhouse. While it made my skin feel more even in tone overall, it didn’t really tackle brown spots. While it was a nice hydrating serum and has some great descriptions listed by the main ingredients, it just wasn’t enough to make me spend the money again for it. This was more of a hydrating, rejuvenating anti-aging serum. Not a brightening serum.
Aqua (Water), Hyaluronic Acid, Glycerin, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Tranexamic Acid, Plukenetia Volubilis Seed Oil, Propanediol, Croton Lechleri Resin Extract, Glycosphingolipids, Phospholipids, Cholesterol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chlorphenesin,Fragrance(Parfum), EthylAscorbic Acid, Methylisothiazolinone, Linalool Benzyl Salicylate, Red 40 / CI 16035